(and spices) are valued for their ability to help the body heal itself. My old American Heritage Dictionary
says that a herb is “a plant that has a fleshy stem as distinguished
from the woody tissues of shrubs and trees.” Herbs are plants valued for
their culinary and/or medicinal qualities.
The following are my choices for the top fourteen herbal-natural-remedies.
- Hemp Oil,
is a great source of high-quality nutrients that support
many aspects of health including heart and brain health. It has a 3 to 1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids, a ratio
believed to support heart and brain health.
- Curcumin, a polyphenol, is an extract of turmeric. It is a strong antioxidant with anti-inflammatory properties. Curcumin is one of the more powerful anticancer flavonoids because it has been shown to inhibit the growth of cancer in all stages of growth and in high doses can cause cancer cell apoptosis (cell death). Curcumin can stimulate the immune system and help maintain a healthy blood sugar. Curcumin can be absorbed best if dissolved in olive oil or combined with black pepper.
- Ginger. There was a time when I drank ginger ale for an upset stomach. I switched to ginger tea that provided a better relief from nausea without the sugar. Sugar and certain sugar substitutes are harmful to your health. In addition to being helpful in relieving the feeling of nausea, ginger is known for its ability to help ease the inflammation and pain of osteoarthritis. High levels of antioxidants in ginger give it anti-bacterial and cancer fighting properties. Ginger may also improve memory and cognitive function.
Ginger and turmeric are stars in the list of Herbal-natural-remedies.
- Garlic. Many studies show that garlic has a strong anticancer effect. It may also lower cholesterol and is anti-inflammatory and anticoagulant. It is most effective in the raw state. Cooking reduces the health benefits. It is best when it smells the worst. Since garlic is an anticoagulant, people on a blood thinner should check with their doctor before taking a garlic supplement.
- Medicinal mushrooms. Though medicinal mushrooms are fungi and not strictly herbal, they should be included here because they have the ability to modulate the immune system and have curative properties. They contain beta-glucans that act to normalize the immune system and organ function. These beta-glucans stimulate an immune response boosting the body’s existing defense system to prevent and fight disease. They are anti-bacterial and anti-viral. Each type of medicinal mushroom contains a unique beta-glucan. Proper dosing is important and the supervision of a physician is highly recommended. The top five healing mushrooms are thought to be the maitake, reishi, shiitake, agaricus blazei (ABM), and the cordyceps sinensis.
- Astragalus Root. Astragalus has been shown to stimulate the immune system and to have effective antibacterial and antiviral properties. Chinese researchers believe that it is particularly effective in preventing respiratory infections. It is available in powder form and in capsules.
- Olive Leaf Extract. Olive leaf extract has been shown to have strong anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. It has also been shown to help control hypertension, lower blood sugar and prevent oxidation of cholesterol. It has virtually no side effects and is nontoxic. It is available in capsules from Bio Innovations and others.
- Green Tea. Green tea is one of the great herbal-natural-remedies. Green tea also has strong anti-cancer properties and can help maintain healthy blood pressure and cholesterol levels. If you don’t like the taste of green tea, try combining green and black tea. This not only improves the taste but some believe that it also improves the health benefit.
- Resveratrol. Resveratrol is a powerful antioxidant, found in red wines offers protection to the heart and brain from oxidative damage and may reduce age-related diseases caused by inflammation. One source of resveratrol is red wine but we would have to consume far more red wine than what is safe to get any benefit. The answer is to use resveratrol supplements. But not all supplements are made equal. Some are far more absorbable and effective than others.
- Grape Seed Extract. Studies indicate that grape seed extract may promote health and longevity. Compounds in grape seed extract are powerful antioxidants that studies indicate may protect against cardiovascular problems, diabetes, high blood pressure, and may help prevent cognitive decline.
Thistle Extract. Milk Thistle Extract has been shown to help detox and cleanse the
liver. It can help repair damage to the liver due to excess alcohol and other
types of drugs including prescription medications. The active ingredient of the
herb is a bioflavonoid mixture called silymarin. Milk
thistle is available in capsule form. It can be ordered on line from vitacost.com and others.
- Chamomile. Chamomile has been recognized as a harmless sedative for a long time and has been used in herbal medicine since the early Roman days. German chamomile used as a tea is sometimes helpful for indigestion. It does have a sedative and sleep inducing effect for many. In Large doses it can cause nausea and vomiting.
- Hot Peppers/Cayenne. Research has shown that hot peppers may help prevent dangerous blood clots. Capsaicin an ingredient in cayenne and chili peppers is a powerful anti-inflammatory and anticoagulant. It is a pain reliever used in pain-relieving skin creams.
Aloe Vera. Aloe Vera extracts are widely used in
cosmetics, skin lotions, soaps and shampoos. There is some evidence that aloe
vera gel can promote healing of certain skin conditions including burns,
pressure sores and frost bite. Aloe gels have been found to have anti-bacterial
Generally, the number of controlled scientific trials on the effectiveness of herbal-natural-remedies is limited. Most of the herbs listed on this page are exceptions because there have been many studies on these substances. Hemp oil, resveratrol, curcumin, green tea and medicinal mushrooms for example have been studied many times.
Like all supplements, herbal-natural-remedies should be taken only under the supervision of your physician.
Nutritional supplements do not cure or prevent illness and disease.
They only give the body the extra nutrition it needs to take care of
itself! A healthy lifestyle starts with good nutrition.
Recharge your endocannabinoid system with "Ultra" full
spectrum, water soluble hemp oil. “Ultra:”
- Reduces stress and frustration,
- Improves absentmindedness,
- Helps maintain regularity,
- Helps support cartilage and joint function,
- Maintains healthy lung function,
- Helps to maintain cholesterol levels that are already within the normal
- Helps promote urinary tract health,
- Helps maintain cardiovascular function and a healthy circulatory system,
- Helps maintain intestinal flora, and
You can order it at retail; enroll as a preferred customer and order at
wholesale prices; or better yet become an ambassador, order at wholesale prices
and share the opportunity. Become a preferred customer or join us as an ambassador. Find out how by
completing the form at the bottom of this page.
Herbal-natural-remedies contain powerful ingredients that have pharmaceutical effects. The amount and potency of these ingredients may vary depending on among other factors where the herb was grown and the manufacturing process. You should never buy or use cheap herbs.
Like most supplements, herbs have not been approved by the FDA. When buying herbal supplements, a review of the reputation of the brand and available laboratory certification would be prudent.
Disclaimer and goal
In the end it's not the years in your life that count but the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln
References and suggested reading: ·
If you found this page useful, please give it a LIKE and share it with someone you care about.
Return to home page from herbal-natural-remedies
Go to Curcumin-benefits
See healthy retirement
See retirement health
Go to Mushroom Health Benefits
See Green Tea Benefits
Go to healthy heart supplements
See cinnamon for diabetes